TELUS Health - Drug Trends
We recently attended the TELUS Health conference that shows changes, trends, and updates within the drug landscape. TELUS’ insight to this landscape is valuable as they act as an intermediary between many insurers and providers. Please click below for 8 things to know about the current landscape of drugs.
1) The number of certificates covered in Ontario has increase by 5.3% from 2017 to 2018. This means that more Canadian residents are covered for drug coverage.
2) The average eligible monthly cost per certificate $53.38 in Ontario and $51.47 in Canada.
3) 60% of drug reimbursements were generic in Ontario versus 63% in Canada.
4) Generics can cost less than 25% of the brand but represent around 70% of number of claims.
5) Since 2008, specialty drugs have increased from 11% to 29% of total drug spend.
6) In 1996, the highest cost drug was 17,000 and in 2018 it was 1.28M.
7) Diabetes is highest cost therapeutic treatment. Costs for this illness have increased by over 10% annually since 2014.
8) There are 132 drugs in the approval phase in Canada today. 1/3 of these are for cancer while many others treat migraines and osteoporosis.